Amateur Moving Mistakes to Avoid
If you’re moving for the first time in a while, or you aren’t satisfied with the way your previous move went, it’s possible you’re committing one or more easily preventable moving mistakes. We’ve certainly been in that boat before, so we consulted the movers at Black Tie Moving to get their input on the amateur moving mistakes that they see time and time again.
1. Packing everything last-minute. The sooner you start packing, the less stress you’ll put yourself under on moving day. We recommend to start the packing and organizing process 2-3 months in advance of your move.
2. Forgetting to purge. Moving presents the perfect opportunity to go through all the stuff you’ve accumulated over the years and get rid of what’s no longer useful! Since you’ll be going through all your possessions while packing anyway, it’s easy to set up some extra boxes for donating or discarding alongside your packing boxes.
3. Skimping on supplies. We’re totally in favor of thriftiness – but not spending enough on packing supplies can really add a lot of pain to your move. Thin or worn boxes can give out mid-move, with disastrous results. Make sure you get new, sturdy boxes and reliable packing tape, and avoid overstuffing boxes with too many heavy items.
4. Doing all the lifting yourself. While you may want to pack on your own, there’s definitely no reason for you to undertake all the strenuous activity. By hiring some outside help you can save your back and make your move much quicker!
5. Hiring a shady mover. Getting moving help doesn’t mean that you work with just anyone. Many companies refuse to take responsibility for breakages, deliver your items late, or lose boxes along the way. Make sure you research your mover thoroughly through sites such as the Better Business Bureau and by reading customer reviews.
So there you have it! We hope that following these tips will help you conduct your next move with confidence and efficiency. Soon you’ll be moving into your dream home in an exciting new neighborhood – and we wish you happy moving!